House Moving in New Jersey, Connecticut, PA, and more…
If you’re looking for house moving services, then W.A. Building Movers & Contractors Inc. is the company for the job. We have been lifting and moving houses for over 40 years in New Jersey, Connecticut, New York, Long Island and Staten Island.
From relocating your house miles away to moving it just a few feet on the same property, W.A. has the experience, knowledge and very best equipment to ensure that your home is moved with the utmost care and precision.
House Moving: Reasons to move your house
- If your home is subject to dangers such as flooding, you can relocate to a safer location.
- If your home is in the way of development such as shopping centers, parking lots, highways, other road expansions, etc.
- If you want to recycle or donate your house to make way for a new one instead of demolishing and sending it to a landfill
- To relocate and preserve historic homes if the land will be used for something else
- To subdivide a property or build another house on the lot
- For setback issues that may arise during surveying
House Moving: Mobilizing a house
Before a house can be moved, it has to be lifted. The area around and under the house is excavated as needed. Steel beams are then inserted under the width of the house and jacks are installed below each beam. Then, using a unified jacking system the house is raised slowly and are temporarily supported supported by crib blocks.
After the house is lifted, steel plates are laid down below the house to roll huge 8-wheel dollies under the house. The same steel beams used to lift and support the house are then placed on these dollies. The amount of dollies and beams used depends on how big the house is. Using the jacks and the same unified jacking system, the house is then lowered and placed on the beams sitting on the dollies making the house now mobile.
If the house is only being moved a few feet on the same property, it is then pushed or pulled by machinery in the direction it has to be moved. If it’s being moved to a new location, the house is maneuvered and attached to the back of a trailer truck to be relocated.
House Moving: Before relocating a house
When it comes to moving your house off the current property and on to a new one, most of the work that goes into the job happens before the day of the actual move. Before moving day:
- Appropriate permits must be obtained to lift and move the house
- A clear established route must be determined and be approved by all local and state municipalities (as needed) including utility companies.
- The route must be cleared including all utilities to be removed or lowered and en route.
- The new location must be cleared and any foundation that is part of the pre-planning must be installed.
- The house and building must be prepped (see our owner checklist ) for W.A. Building Movers to come on site to begin to preparation for the move.
- Police must be present during the actual move
There are many companies that offer house moving services, but when it comes to moving your home, you should find one that is extremely skilled, experienced and reliable in the industry. Therefore, when hiring a house moving company, make sure it meets the following criteria.
House Moving: How to choose the best company?
- A long standing track record within the house lifting and building moving industry.
- Comprehensive knowledge in general construction, machine operation and rigging.
- Proper insurance for lifting and moving structures including but not limited to riggers, cargo and care custody and control insurance.
- Proper house lifting equipment including but not limited to a unified jacking system, crib jacks and lifting equipment to perform the standard lifting procedures.
- A comprehensive safety plan.
- References from prior work in the rigging business.
Click here… to read more details about House Moving Services
Frequently Asked Questions
What is foundation leveling?
The term “foundation leveling” refers to the process of leveling an uneven concrete slab, crawl space or basement foundation to a satisfactory elevation. Foundation leveling can be accomplished using a wide-variety of different foundation repair methods…. Read More..
How much does it cost to level a foundation?
Foundation problems can lead to major structural damage within your home. Whether you’re a homeowner or a perspective buyer, foundation issues are scary and you likely have a lot of questions. Luckily, there are ways to repair … Read More..
How much does it cost to level a house on blocks?
Pier and beam foundation repair costs can range from high to low depending upon what is required to properly fix them. Average foundation repair prices can vary, and can cost as little as $1,500, while others can cost upwards of $10,000. …Read More..
How do you fix the foundation on a house?
Your home’s foundation is the most important structure of the entire house because it shoulders your home’s weight. It also distributes the weight of the house along the walls of the foundation which, keeps the structural integrity of the home intact … Read More..
Is foundation damage covered by homeowners insurance?
Cracks, settlement, and other types of damage to your concrete foundation are not only serious to the structural integrity of your home, they can also be very expensive to repair. Depending on the extent of the damage and the method of repair, … Read More..
How long does it take to fix the foundation of a house?
Every foundation repair job is unique. From a minor leveling job to a complete reconstruction, there are many factors that determine the complexity of a job and its duration. … Read More..
How much does it cost to build a foundation for a house?
A structurally sound home starts with a strong foundation holding its weight and it can be considered the most important part of the house … Read More..
How much does it cost to raise a home?
W.A Building Movers knows that house raising if very costly. Depending on the size of the house, the location, and the current structure and foundation, the cost that house raising contractor will charge to raise your home will be in the range … Read More..
How much does it cost to tear down a house?
Demolition costs are subject to a lot of factors that make them vary from as little as$4 a sq foot to over $15. However, completely demolishing a home alone costs between$4,000 and $14,000… Read More..
How much does it cost to lift a house and add a basement?
A basement can add additional storage or living space to a house, especially where it isn’t possible to expand out or up. Adding a basement to an existing house can cost… Read More..