Social Icon Widget

Follow us on

Our Social Pages —>


At W.A. Building Movers and Contractors, we know that there are a lot of questions when it comes to house lifting, house elevation especially in areas like Long Beach Island New Jersey that were hit hard by Sandy. Here’s some questions and answers including some on how to look into flooding services available in your area.

What is house raising?

House raising is the process of lifting or jacking your home higher to prevent damage from flooding.

What is the process of raising a home?

First the home is excavated around the house to allow for holes to be made in your current foundation, then the steel beams are placed in these spots. Once the beams are placed the home is elevated hydraulically using the Jacking System. The hydraulic jacking pump synchronizes the pressure to the jacks so that the whole building will lift evenly without racking. This keeps the cracks in the drywall or plaster to a minimum and sometimes nonexistent. Typically the home is then excavated out underneath to allow for your new basement pour. On occasion, if there is enough room on your lot the home can be moved out of its current site and then transferred back to its original site. Once the new foundation is cured the home is then lowered back down and the beams are pulled.

Can a brick or concrete block building be raised?

Contractors use a Hydraulic Jacking System. This system enables one man to control the entire jacking operation. The jacks are locked together by a unified system and will lift and lower regardless of individual jack loading. Each unified jack is on a separate hydraulic system and failure in one jack will not cause pressure loss in the other jacks. This system can accommodate from one to thirty-eight hundred tons. This system is essential when making large, irregular lifts.

My house is on a block foundation don’t I need pilings?

You need to hire a geologist who analyses the earth after receiving a soil boring this will determine if the soil needs to have pilings and a grade beam or a regular pier foundation with footing.

Will my Insurance company pay for this?

Yes, but what your flood insurance companies offer is an ICC grant. ICC is Increased Compliance Cost. Information required when applying for ICC Grant:

  1. letter of substantial loss from Town must state that home has sustained more than 50% of it’s value in flood damage
  2. Tax Assessment from Town Appraiser (current house value excluding the land)
  3. Current Elevation Certificate (from a licensed surveyor)
  4. Color photos of house as is
  5. Line by line breakdown of new elevation work including foundation work and it’s cost. This grant may reimburse you up to $30K. You have to pay the costs upfront and then your insurance company will reimburse you. Not everyone receives the full $30K.

Am I eligible for government assistance?

The ICC grant offered by your Flood Insurance Company is a Federal backed program (FEMA). Some local governments have incentives in place in the form of additional financial assistance. Call your local Town Hall to find out what assistance is available in your area.

Will I save money on flood insurance for my house?

Yes, Fema has a height they enforce than NY State wants two feet above that. Your insurance will be reduced for every foot past that you can save 20% per foot. Example: Fema says 6′ state says 2′ total 8′ above sea level, you go 10′ you will save 60% on your flood insurance.

My floors are settling, will they be level after the lift? Yes after the lift the contractor will level out your floors and make a new current code 8” foundation on a 8”x16”footing.

For more information about getting your house raised or any other aspect of construction, please feel free to contact us via e-mail at or call our office at 908-654-8227.

W.A. Building Movers & Contractors, Inc. BBB Business ReviewVeteran Owned Small Business_VOSBInternational Association of Structural Movers_IASMhearth
financing 150_150
Our Services