Social Icon Widget

Follow us on

Our Social Pages —>

House Lift in NJ – WA Building Movers

There are steps that you can take to prepare yourself and mitigate against flood damages in New Jersey. The first thing you can do is know your risk , including a One-Step Flood Risk Profile. Next, you should create an emergency communications plan and build an emergency kit to ensure you and your family are prepared for a flood. As part of having a plan, we also encourage you to consider your coverage. A flood insurance policy can protect your home, property, or business from the financial damages of flooding. Most homeowner’s insurance does not cover damage from flooding, so visit to learn more.

Lift Your House @ Lower Your Rates. Now Serving NJ

House Lift NJ

So, you need to lift your house in New Jersey because of flooding? Here is a Checklist of what you need to do!

  • Find out your flood zone to determine the finished floor height requirement for your home.

  • Pull out a copy of your survey if obtainable – See if the survey has your current floor elevation height. If your current floor elevation meets or exceeds the FEMA, plus the state safety factor requirement. You are not required to further raise your house though you may want to anyway.

  • If you do not have a survey, and are looking to raise your house and/or do construction work to your house, you may need to get a new or updated survey, and specify you need the finish first floor elevation of the current house on the survey.

  • Call your Town, or Village Building Department for their procedures, and requirements. Each Town or Village has their own requirements, so best to be informed straight from the governing agency, .

  • Many Towns and Villages are enforcing other FEMA, and New York State Requirements, which states that “substantial improvements” from damage, or general improvements more than 50% in value of the appraised home value, prior to the repairs, or improvements, you must meet flood zone height requirement, which means that you will be required to raise your house.
    Again, check with the Town or Village for rulings, requirements, and relaxations.

  • Obtain a test boring. Many Towns, and Villages are requiring a test boring, for determining the soil bearing capacity on your site when raising or doing work to waterfront properties. If you are just raising your house on a masonry foundation 2 or 3 feet, you are not adding much load to your current foundation and footing, and shouldn’t need a test boring. However, If your current house is on piles, and new pile work is being installed, or a new foundation, or new house is going up, then yes, a test boring is needed. Check with your Town, or Village Building Department based on your project and location, before ordering any tests or reports. Call our office for a list of test boring companies on New Jersey.

  • Determine if you would like, or need an entirely new Foundation System. You may need an Architect or Engineer to assist with your decision based on damage, or future plans.

  • Determine what type of foundation system you would like. This will depend mainly on what your existing foundation is. Typical types of foundation systems are as follows:

A. Concrete block on top of existing foundation, with additional beams, columns, and footings in crawl space.
B. Poured concrete foundation on top of existing foundation, with additional beams, columns, and footings in crawl space.
C. Poured reinforced concrete foundation.
D. Wood piles (house would need room to move to a different location on site to drive piles).
E. Helical Piles to be attached to existing footing(s).

  • Hire an architect to prepare plans for filing for a building permit with the Town or Village. Also, to bid and build your project from. During your house raising project, you may want to add a few “might as well” additions, or alterations to the house, but things to consider are; how the house will look after raising, how and which way stairs will go, Decks, Fireplace, New Garage, etc. are things to consider with your architect while preparing your house lifting plans.
  • You will need to get disconnect letters from all the applicable utility companies before your house is lifted. You will also need an Inspection Certificate from applicable licensed tradesmen at the end of the project to reconnect service. This may include, but is not limited to the following utilities:
    A. Electric
    B. Gas
    C. Sewer
    D. Water
    E. Telephone
    F. Cable
    G. Etc.
  • Obtain a Building Permit Application, and any other documents needed for permit filing from the Township, or Village in which you reside. Often, we have most Town, and Village Forms in our office, or with some Towns/Villages, you can obtain forms online. Most applications (and other paperwork) need to be signed and notarized by the homeowner.
  • Obtain insurance & workman’s compensation documents from your contractor for the Town/Village to be submitted with the permit application. Often the town or village needs to be listed as the co-insured.
  • Prepare for the construction work to come. Based on your project, you may have to store furnishings, etc. away from house or work site. Based on project, you may need to set up a temporary cooking area (or have a lot of Burger King) if Kitchen renovation is planned.

Some projects may require you to move out of your house for a while, and for the safety and sanity of your family, you may need to look for temporary living arrangements during construction.
You may also want to obtain a “time clause” in your contract with the contractor, to minimize time out of house, or all its uses. Protect any valuables, landscaping, walks, drive, lawns, etc. and coordinate with your contractor , what’s to be protected, kept away from, and off of during construction.

For more information about getting your house raised or any other aspect of construction, please visit our website at or call our office at 908-654-8227.

Sources: FEMA,, The Wall Street Journal

W.A. Building Movers & Contractors, Inc. BBB Business ReviewVeteran Owned Small Business_VOSBInternational Association of Structural Movers_IASMhearth
financing 150_150
Our Services